One of the reasons why one create a website is to connect to the world. Others want to monetize out of it. A website is a powerful tool for communication which you can share information about your business, products or services. When you have a website, it is very important that you understand SEO and the potential it creates to the sites to drive volumes and quality traffic.
What is SEO?
Search Engine Optimization or SEO is the process of enhancing the visibility of a website. This is to ensure that your website can be found in search engines and improve the rankings of the page. Strategies, tactics, and techniques are defined in order to attract visitors to get to your website.
How does SEO work?
Search engines such as Google, Bing, and Yahoo have crawlers that gather information about a certain content from a website. These pieces of information are saved in a database called index and run through an algorithm. Then, the search engines will now rank the pages based on relevance and matches from the data gathered by the user’s query. By optimizing the search engines, there are more chances to achieve higher ranking and visibility of your site.
Factors to consider by the search engine’s algorithm:
- Keywords– keywords are one of the essential elements of SEO. They are words and phrases in your web content that make it possible for people to find your site via search engines
- Titles– titles are the content described in a way that is the most accurate and concise of the content of a page.
- Links– links are important to SEO because there is a direct correlation between the quality/quantity of links to your site and how much search traffic your site receives.
- Reputation- website’s reputation online includes your standing in google ranking. Thus, having a strong reputation online makes your website easily visible.
Key Elements that Impact SEO
1. Exceptional Content
To be able to attract and make connections with users, effective content is necessary. Quality and engaging content will more likely invite users to visit the webpage. They might spend time reading or even avail the services being offered. Use keywords and phrases and create unique pieces that are relevant to your target audiences. Blogs, articles, how-to- guide, videos or visual contents are some of the topics that you can create to improve search engine rankings.
2. On-page SEO
This refers to the activities that happen on your website which influence in improving visibility. The structure, keywords, titles, headings, site speed, internal links, and images are aspects to consider in On-page SEO. The main importance of On-page SEO is to send the right signals to search engine crawlers which can help improve your search ranking.
Some tips in optimizing your on-page SEO:
- Title tags should be should be 70 characters or less
- Make sure to focus on just one or two keywords
- Website structure should be easy for search engines to crawl
- Build a sitemap
3. Off-page SEO
This refers to “link building” or website promotion which aims to increase your number of trustworthy links from other websites. This is important since search engines use them as a reference for scoring. The more quality and relevant links from websites and pages pointing towards yours, the higher ranking you have in search engines.
How to do “link building”?
Link building is part of a strategy that generates traffic to your site. It is important to build your online reputation and competitiveness of your market so as to gather interactions and have a higher ranking.
Simple link building strategies:
- Create exceptional content
- Create content that inspires viral sharing
- Create a valuable and informative company blog, original research or studies
- Promotion and Excellent Customer Service
- Promote product, service, or site – a sample is giving away something for free
- Be responsive and build connections – comment and be active to forums
- Reviews and Mention
- Get your customers to link to you
- Mention your product, service, or site to popular bloggers or people with a large social media following
There are many ways how to link your website to another. But the best way to get organic links is to create good quality content. This, in turn, will give you high rankings and traffic.